Cinco de Mayo is around the corner and it's time to party! I love celebrating Cinco de Mayo! Maybe it's because of all the colors....okay it's definitely about the colors. If you are looking to host your own Cinco de Mayo party, perhaps do something different and have a "Fiesta a la Playa" - Fiesta at the Beach. I'm sharing some of my easy decorating tips on how to recreate your own party on the beach below.Read More
Earlier this year, I planned a girls getaway to Kerrville, Texas...have you heard of it? Those from Texas may be familiar with this cute little town out in what we call Texas Hill Country. It was a breath of fresh air to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy some fresh air, change of scenery and Texas traditions. Texas traditions you ask? It's called TexMex. No matter where you go in Texas there is some form of Mexican food whether authentic or a bit untraditional you can always be guaranteed some chips and dip (queso, guac and salsa), something spicy (think jalapeño poppers) and a margarita.
Cinco de Mayo Tablescape
Tip number 1 - ALWAYS include Texas. Have you ever met a Texan? Of course you have because they will make it very clear that is where they are from. Texas pride is a HUGE thing and I sure do have the bug. I love these untraditional straws especially with my hometown state on display. I figured the best way for it to be seen was to stick it in the middle of our Viridian Design floral arrangements.
Tip Number 2....aaannnddd the Texas theme continues. Of course we have tortilla chips that are Texas shape. What other state you know that has these? I love that HEB keeps these bad boys in stock.
I personally am a fan of mini dishes - I love the mini martini cups filled with guacamole. It's about presentation and keeps your precious guac separate from the other delicious food you will pile on your plate. Sometimes you just want a mouth full of spicy guac with no disturbance - hence the mini glasses.
Guacamole Cups - Cinco de Mayo
What's guacamole without it's special sidekick....queso! Yes-o! That was the worst stretch of a joke possible but just keep rolling with me, I promise this skillet queso dip won't disappoint!
Prepare for addiction with the following recipe...you're welcome.
Skillet Queso Dip
Ingredients: 1 stick of Velveeta cheese, 1 can of rotel with peppers, 1 pack of ground beef or turkey (I prefer turkey, 1/4 cup of chopped onions, dash of garlic and jalapeño seasoning
1. Sautee ground beef with onions and seasonings. Allow it to cook thoroughly. It's okay if the "fat and juices" don't leave the pan, I use it for base.
2. While the meat sautés, microwave the cheese block in which it becomes a liquid.
3. Allow this mixture to stay warm and begin to stir and mix in the queso into the leftover seasonings pan.
4. Next add in the ground beef mixture and begin to fold over the cheese mixture.
5. Open your can of Rotel (drain first) and pour into the cheesy meaty mixture.
6. Once queso is thoroughly mixed, pour into a mini skillet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the top starts to brown and bubble.
7. Optional - add some breadcrumbs right before their baking
Looking for some margarita tips...check out this MARGARITA POST HERE.